13 Aug 2020
Record Store Day 2020 Update
Record Store Day 2020 is almost upon us. The first of three RSD2020 days will be Saturday 29 August and this will be the day that you’ll be able to visit your local record store and get your hands on a copy of the stunning, newly expanded, limited edition, double vinyl version of The Who’s 1974 album Odds & Sods.
• One of the very first ‘rarities’ collections, released to try and defeat the bootleggers, the original 11-track album was released on the Track Records label in September 1974.
• Compiled in band down-time by bass guitarist John Entwistle, it includes ‘Long Live Rock’ (eventually released as a single in 1979), the unedited, unreleased version of ‘The Seeker’, the studio version of ‘Young Man Blues’, alternative versions of ‘Dogs Part Two’ and ‘Water’, amongst many other gems.
• Graham Hughes, who shot the cover for Odds and Sods comments . . .
“I’d stayed up the night before with Letraset, designing the letters on the American football helmets with each of the band’s names printed on. When I finally managed to get them together in one place, which happened to be the bathroom, Pete and Roger’s helmets didn’t quite fit so that’s why they’re wearing each other’s. That Quadrophenia tour wasn’t very pleasant and the band were arguing a lot. When I showed Pete the blow-up of the cover, he didn’t like it and told me so. I was so frustrated by this time, I started ripping it up . . . That’s when he decided he liked it! I stuck it back together with adhesive tape and Roger said, ‘Call it a bunch of odds and sods’.”
• This reissue includes the original LP sequence on disc one and adds 14 bonus tracks – B-sides, rarities and extras on disc two, Odds & Sods Too – to create a definitive, 25-track double LP.
• The stunning artwork and design restore the original ‘die-cut’ front sleeve and includes all Pete Townshend’s original track annotation.
• Pressed on heavyweight coloured vinyl:
Disc One – RED
Disc Two – YELLOW
• Also features the 1973 North American tour poster image (as part of the gatefold) plus a four-page lyric insert, and two printed inner bags.
• LP1 Odds & Sods includes Pete Townshend’s original full liner notes.
• LP2 Odds & Sods Too includes liner notes by Andy Neill.
• Remastered and cut using half-speed mastering process by Miles Showell at Abbey Road studios.
“I tried to arrange it like a parallel sort of Who career – what singles we might have released and what album tracks we might have released. It could have been a double album, there was that much material.” ~ John Entwistle, 1974
LP ONE The Original LP Odds & Sods
2. Now I’m A Farmer
3. Put The Money Down
4. Little Billy
5. Too Much Of Anything
6. Glow Girl
1. Pure And Easy
2. Faith In Something Bigger
3. I’m The Face
4. Naked Eye
5. Long Live Rock
LP TWO Odds & Sods Too
1. Zoot Suit (remix with fade)
2. Here Tis (only previously released on 30 Years of Maximum R&Bbox set)
3. Leaving Here (from Pye acetate)
4. Baby Don’t You Do It (from Pye acetate)
5. Young Man Blues (alternate studio version, included on 1998 Odds & Sods CD)
6. Dogs Part Two (B-side, the single mix; included on the Tommy SDE)
7. Here For More (B-side single mix)
8. The Seeker (long unedited version; unreleased)
1. Heaven And Hell (B-side single mix)
2. Don’t Know Myself (B-side single mix)
3. When I Was A Boy (B-side single mix)
4. Waspman (B-side single mix)
5. We Close Tonight (included on 1998 Odds & Sods CD)
6. Water (B-side single mix)
And those all-important links . . .
All titles on the RSD2020 official list will be available from independent record stores on one of the three following RSD ‘Drop’ Dates:
• Saturday 29th August
• Saturday 26th September
• Saturday 24th October