- MY GENERATION (The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour TV show, September 15, 1967)
- I CAN”T EXPLAIN (Shindig! TV show, August 3, 1965)
- HAPPY JACK (Not in the film. Recorded live at Leeds University, February 14, 1970)
- I CAN SEE FOR MILES (Not in the film. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour TV show, September 15, 1967)
- MAGIC BUS (Regular studio version, from Beat Club German TV, October 7, 1968)
- LONG LIVE ROCK (Regular studio version, June 5, 1972)
- ANYWAY, ANYHOW, ANYWHERE (Rediffusion TV’s Ready Steady Go!, July 1, 1965)
- YOUNG MAN BLUES (The London Coliseum, December 14, 1969)
- MY WIFE (Not in film. Kilburn State Theatre, London, December 15, 1977)
- BABA O’RILEY (Shepperton Studios, May 25, 1978)
- A QUICK ONE, WHILE HE’S AWAY (The Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus, December 11, 1968)
- TOMMY, CAN YOU HEAR ME? (Regular studio version, from Beat Club German TV, August 26 & 28, 1969)
- SPARKS (Woodstock, August 17, 1969)
- PINBALL WIZARD (Woodstock, August 17, 1969)
- SEE ME, FEEL ME (Woodstock, August 17, 1969)
- JOIN TOGETHER / ROADRUNNER / MY GENERATION BLUES (Pontiac Silverdome, Michigan, December 6, 1975)
- WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN (Shepperton Studios, May 25, 1978)
The soundtrack to the movie The Kids Are Alright was originally released as a double album in the UK on June 8, 1979 (Polydor 2675 179), and as an edited CD in the early 1980s (Polydor 517 947-2 and as a remastered and restored CD in 2000 (Polydor 543 694-2). It was released on June 23, 1979 in the US (MCA2 11005) and as an edited CD (MCA MCAD-6899), and as a remastered and restored CD in 2000 (MCA 314 543 694-2).
The Kids Are Alright was reissued on 180-gram vinyl in 2018 as The Who’s contribution to Record Store Day. The new reissue is an exact replica of the original 1979 release with the two discs in card liners and a 20-page booklet. Disc 1 was pressed on red vinyl and Disc 2 was on blue vinyl. Remastered by Jon Astley at Close To The Edge. Polydor 6713232.
The double LP soundtrack album for The Kids Are Alright contains material that doesn’t actually appear in the film, while the film contains material that doesn’t appear on the soundtrack. The original CD issues edited what had been the fourth side of the album due to then existing technical limitations, but the full track list was restored in the 2000 CD reissue . Certain tracks were identical to the original releases, which in the movie The Who lip-synched to playback. The soundtrack, taken from various film clips, regular releases and special staged performances, was remixed by John Entwistle. It offered alternate versions of previously released material, mainly live cuts, many of which, especially ‘Sparks’, ‘See Me, Feel Me’, ‘Baba O’Riley’ and ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’. The Kids Are Alright reached #26 in UK and #8 in US.
All songs written by Pete Townshend except ‘Young Man Blues’ (Mose Allison), ‘My Wife’ (John Entwistle) and ‘Roadrunner’ (Bo Diddley).
Original sleeve concept by Bill Curbishley, Chris Chappel, and Richard Evans.
Front and back cover photography by Art Kane.
Design and illustrations by Richard Evans.