Who’s Better Who’s Best
UK: Universal 06050251 7359758. Re-released 11 June 2007
US: Universal. Re-released 12 June 2007
Originally released in 1988 to accompany the best-of album of the same name (see Discography), WHO’S BETTER WHO’S BEST was repackaged and reissued on DVD by Universal in 2007.
The clips for I’M FREE (London Coliseum, 1969) and MAGIC BUS (Holland, 1973) are unavailable elsewhere, but sadly the DVD doesn’t include RELAY from The Russell Harty Show (1973) which was originally available only on the laser disc version.
- MY GENERATION Broadcast on ‘Beat Club aus London’ and directed by Michael Leckebush. Recorded at the Marquee Club, London, March 2, 1967.
- I CAN’T EXPLAIN Original promo film re-edited with inserts, directed by Kit Lambert. Recorded at the Marquee studio, London, March 1965, the Scene Club, London, summer 1964 and the Railway Hotel, Wealdstone, August 11, 1964.
- ANYWAY, ANYHOW, ANYWHERE 8mm concert films shot by Jon Rubin. Recorded at the Village Theatre, NYC, November 25, 1967, Long Island Arena, Commack, NY, December 1, 1967, The Fillmore East, NYC, April 5 and 6, 1968 and Singer Bowl, NYC, 2 August 2 1968 and Music Hall, Boston, 6 August 1968.
- SUBSTITUTE Original promo film re-edited, directed by Chris Stamp. Recorded in a film studio in Covent Garden, London, March 21, 1966. This promo was originally intended for US TV so Roger was miming to the censored version: “I try going forward but I keep walking back” in place of “I look all white but my dad was black”. The compilers re-edited the original clip to fit the uncensored version of the song.
- THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT Original promo film directed by Chris Stamp. Recorded in Hyde Park, London, circa July/August 1966.
- I’M A BOY Broadcast on ‘Beat Club’, German TV and directed by Michael Leckebush. Recorded at Planten und Blomen, Hamburg, Germany, January 15, 1967
- HAPPY JACK Original promo film directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg. Recorded at the offices of New Action Ltd., The Who’s management, London, December 19, 1966
- PICTURES OF LILY Broadcast on ‘Beat Club’, German TV and directed by Michael Leckebush. Recorded at Bremnen TV Studio, Germany, April 19, 1967.
- MAGIC BUS Bus footage directed by Chris Stamp, London, October 1968. ‘Popgala’ concert recorded at De Vleigermolen Sportshal, Voorburg, The Hague, Holland, March 1973.
- YOU BETTER, YOU BET Original promo video directed by John Crome. Recorded at Shepperton Studios, Middlesex, March 1981
- I CAN SEE FOR MILES Broadcast on ‘The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour’ (US TV) with inserts shot by Richard Stanley and Chris Morphet
Recorded at CBS TV Studios, Los Angeles, USA, September 15, 1967 and in Germany, April 1967.
- PINBALL WIZARD Woodstock Festival footage directed by Michael Wadleigh. Recorded at the Woodstock Music and Art Fair, upstate New York, August 17, 1969.
- I’M FREE Concert footage directed by Chris Stamp. Recorded at the Coliseum, London, December 14, 1969.
- SEE ME, FEEEL ME Woodstock Festival footage directed by Michael Wadleigh. Recorded at the Woodstock Music and Art Fair, upstate New York, August 17, 1969.
- JOIN TOGETHER Original promo film directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg Recorded at LWT Studios, Wembley, London, June 25, 1972.
- WHO ARE YOU Excerpt from THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT movie and used as a promo film, directed by Jeff Stein. Recorded at Ramport Studios, Battersea, London, May 4, 1978.
- WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN Footage from THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT movie directed by Jeff Stein.. Recorded at Shepperton Studios, Middlesex, May 25 1978.
DON’T LET GO THE COAT Original promo video directed by John Crome. Recorded at Shepperton Studios, Middlesex, March 1981
ANOTHER TRICKY DAYOriginal promo video directed by John Crome. Recorded at Shepperton Studios, Middlesex, March 1981
EMINENCE FRONT Original promo video. Recorded at The Capitol Center, Landover, Maryland, USA, September 1982.