- MY GENERATION (The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour TV show, September 15, 1967)
- I CAN”T EXPLAIN (Shindig! TV show, August 3, 1965)
- HAPPY JACK (Not in the film. Recorded live at Leeds University, February 14, 1970)
- I CAN SEE FOR MILES (Not in the film. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour TV show, September 15, 1967)
- MAGIC BUS (Regular studio version, from Beat Club German TV, 7 October 7, 1968)
- LONG LIVE ROCK (Regular studio version, June 5, 1972)
- ANYWAY, ANYHOW, ANYWHERE (Rediffusion TV’s Ready Steady Go!, July1, 1965)
- YOUNG MAN BLUES (The London Coliseum, December 14, 1969)
- MY WIFE (Not in film. Kilburn State Theatre, London, December 15, 1977)
- BABA O’RILEY (Shepperton Studios, May 25 1978)
- A QUICK ONE, WHILE HE’S AWAY (The Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus, December 11, 1968)
- TOMMY, CAN YOU HEAR ME? (Regular studio version, from Beat Club German TV, August26 & 28, 1969)
- SPARKS (Woodstock, August 17, 1969)
- PINBALL WIZARD (Woodstock, August 17, 1969)
- SEE ME, FEEL ME (Woodstock, August 17, 1969)
- JOIN TOGETHER / ROADRUNNER / MY GENERATION BLUES (Pontiac Silverdome, Michigan, December 6, 1975)
- WON’T GET FOOLED AGAIN (Shepperton Studios, May 25 1978)
The soundtrack to the movie The Kids Are Alright was originally released as a double album in the UK on June 8, 1979 (Polydor 2675 179), and as an edited CD in the early 1980s (Polydor 517 947-2 and as a remastered and restored CD in 2001 (Polydor 543 694-2). It was released on 23 June 1979 in the US (MCA2 11005) and as an edited CD (MCA MCAD-6899), and as a remastered and restored CD in 2001 (MCA 314 543 694-2).
The double soundtrack album for The Kids Are Alright contains material that doesn’t actually appear in the film, while the film contains material that doesn’t appear on the soundtrack. The original CD issues edited what had been the fourth side of the album due to then existing technical limitations. Certain tracks were identical to the original releases, which in the movie The Who lip-synched to playback. The soundtrack, taken from various film clips, regular releases and special staged performances, was remixed by John Entwistle. It offered alternate versions of previously released material, mainly live cuts, many of which, especially ‘Sparks’, ‘See Me, Feel Me’, ‘Baba O’Riley’ and ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’. The Kids Are Alright reached #26 in UK and #8 in US.
Original sleeve concept by Bill Curbishley, Chris Chappel, and Richard Evans. Front and back cover photography by Art Kane. Design and illustration by Richard Evans.
All songs written by Pete Townshend except ‘Young Man Blues’ (Mose Allison), ‘My Wife’ (John Entwistle) and ‘Roadrunner’ (Bo Diddley).